Franz Marc Museum - reconstruction and expansion

The Franz Marc Museum in Kochel am See has been reconstructed and expanded with the addition of a modern museum building. The building work to construct the new Franz Marc Museum lasted from the middle of October 2006 until the spring of 2008. Right next to the old building, which housed the Franz Marc Museum for twenty years, came the new building which is home not only to the inventory of the Franz Marc Museum but also the collection of Etta and Otto Stangl. The builder of the new museum ensemble is the Etta and Otto Stangl Foundation which financed the construction solely with private funds.

In a project competition the design of the Zurich architects Diethelm & Spillmann with a three-storey new building close to the incline behind the old building came out on top. The two buildings are linked together by a connecting construction to form a harmonious unity. The architecture with properly sized exhibition rooms were specifically tailored to the requirements of the museum's collections and the art of classical modernity. This allows the museum visitor a concentrated perception of exhibited works in a calm, homelike atmosphere. At the same time, large windows in the two upper stories enable visual perspectives of the magical landscape around the Kochelsee. With its natural stone facade made of shell limestone, the new museum building is perfectly integrated into the surrounding nature and creates a harmonious coexistence of the old and new buildings.

The collections are shown solely in the new building which has an exhibition area of 700 square metres. A room for events and conferences and a foyer with a museum shop mean the museum has many different possible uses. The old building constructed around 1900 contains the restaurant "Zum Blauen Reiter", a studio for the museum's educational activities, a library and the museum administration.