--------------------------------
Collection
Architecture
History

-------------------------------- Etta und Otto Stangl mit Maria Marc, um 1950
1

Rudolf Ibach, Foto um 1923
2

 

 

 

 


---------------------------------------------------------------
The Franz Marc Museum in Kochel am See was founded in 1986 to pay homage to the life and work of this important artist of the 20th century. Franz Marc had a particular connection to the landscape around Kochel during his lifetime. Back when he was a child and later as an academy student many stays in and around Kochel are known about. In 1908 Marc moved to live in the Upper Bavarian alpine upland - he stayed in Lenggries, Sindelsdorf and from 1914 in Ried near Kochel, where he bought a house.

It was the gallery owner Otto Stangl, trustee of the estate of Maria Marc, who initiated the building of the Franz Marc Museum in Kochel in cooperation with others. He developed the idea and concept with Klaus Lankheit, who, with his important publications, had created the basis for the academic research on Franz Marc. His wife Marie-Luise Lankheit recalls: "The two friends, who had made looking after the Marc legacy their task in life, gave their all in the 1980s to realise this project with the help of key institutions and many private individuals."

On 4 July 1986 the Franz Marc Museum was opened in the house converted for this purpose at Herzogstandweg 43, above the Kochelsee Lake.

Until the start of reconstruction and expansion in 2006 more than 150 works from the estate of Franz Marc were shown in the Franz Marc Museum. They were complemented by loaned items owned by private individuals and museums as well as by documents on the life of the painter. There were also works of Kandinsky, Münter, Macke, Klee, Jawlensky and others which demonstrate the significance of Franz Marc in the circle of the "Blaue Reiter".

Soon after the foundation of the Franz Marc Museum, Otto Stangl developed the vision of expanding the museum. By adding to the Marc collection with works from German post-war abstraction he wanted to illustrate the continuity of the "spiritual in art2 from the "Blaue Reiter" to the abstract painting after the Second World War. He wanted to show visitors to the Franz Marc Museum a perception which had motivated and guided him as a gallery owner. When the collection of Etta and Otto Stangl was added to the new Franz Marc Museum in 2008 this vision became reality.




1
Etta and Otto Stangl with Maria Marc, around 1950

2
Rudolf Ibach, around 1923